First 12 weeks
Once you have been selected to participate in EBB you have twelve weeks to hire a contractor or decide to do the work yourself as an owner-builder, and get a building permit. EBB does not require a homeowner to use a contractor or recommend any specific contractor to complete the retrofit work. If you would like to hire a Contractor please review the following information "What You Should Know Before Hiring a Contractor".
Starting with the 2019 EBB program, if you hire a contractor to do the retrofit work, you must choose from the EBB Contractor Directory. The Directory provides a resource to search for licensed contractors, who are educated in seismic retrofitting in your area. Once you choose a contractor from the EBB Directory, you may authorize them to upload required documents on your behalf. You can do this from your online Homeowner Dashboard.
If you choose to use a contractor, the CSLB website has information on consumer resources including how to select a licensed and qualified contractor, checking a contractor license, negotiating contracts for work to be done, preventing and resolving disputes, and how to obtain a building permit.
If you choose to do the work yourself, you will identify yourself as an owner-builder. As an owner-builder, you become the
You will be installing bolts into the
STEPS & timeline for pre-retrofit PHASE
Pre-Retrofit activities (12 weeks)
- Familiarize yourself with retrofit works that qualifies.
- Call licensed contractors and schedule appointments
- Meet with contractors and receive bids
- Review/compare all bids, select a contractor
- Contractors, in most cases, will get a building permit for you
- Upload 3 photographs of the front of your house
- Upload 3 photographs of the crawl space and
cripple wall, if applicable, before the retrofit
- Upload permit information, the building permit must be received and dated after acceptance into EBB Program.
- Upload proof if residency and if requested by EBB, upload a completed W-9 form to your Dashboard
[IMPORTANT NOTE: Your building permit MUST reference "in accordance with..." an accepted Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA City Standard Plan Set #1) or "Chapter A3." If your house has cripple walls greater than 4-feet then you will need an engineered solution. In most cases, contractors will go to the building department and get a permit for you.]
STEPS & TIMELINE FOR RETROFIT and post-retrofit PHASE
Retrofit and Post-Retrofit activities
- Initiate and complete the work within the specified time frame.
- Collect and submit the required documentation and upload it to your Homeowner Dashboard:
- receipts for building permit fee
- receipts for materials and supplies (if owner-builder)
- contractor invoice broken out by labor, materials, overhead and profit
- 2 photos of code-compliant strapped water heater
- 1 photo of the crawl space access showing scale using ruler, yard stick, etc.
- 3 photos of the crawl space after the retrofit work is completed
- signed building permit after the work is completed
- Payment Authorization Form
[IMPORTANT NOTE: Your building permit MUST reference "in accordance with..." an accepted Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA City Standard Plan Set #1).. or "Chapter A3."]